Jen Thursday, April 29, 2010

First, the good news: Joe installed the new toilet seat without me having to ask him to do it. Could the Wellbutrin be working? Dare we hope? It's a beaut, ain't it? (It's not lost on me that, in the first week of this blog, I've already covered farting, pooping, toilets, and masturbation. Let's get right to it, shall we ladies?) 

Now onto the meat of my angst: a letter from one of the kindergartens Victor might go to in the fall (quick background: Victor's with his dad in Finland until July, and then he'll start kindergarten with me in Minnesota in the fall). Checklist of things to bring with me to the "kindergarten round-up:" 

Your child's social security number: Check

Your child's birth certificate: Check, and also super cool because it's actually a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Your child's immunization record: Got it. 

Your child: Um. Really? Will a virtual version suffice?

"See," as I explained to the school's secretary, "my son is with his father overseas right now, so he wouldn't be able to make it to the round-up."

"Oh, okay. When will he be back?"

"July."

"Oh. My goodness. Where overseas?"

"Finland."

"Oh. Wow. That must be really hard for him."

At this point, I laugh weakly as I always do when people say this, which they do all the time. (In another post, I'll go into all the hurtful things well-meaning people say when I explain our situation, but that's for another day.)

"Yeee-ah. So is it worth it for me to come to this thing, or ..."

"Well, you're certainly welcome to come, or you can bring all the forms in a different time, too."

Let me think about it for a second: Do I want to go alone to an event where every other parent there has an adorable four- or five-year-old pre-K child holding their hand/clinging to their leg/running rampant? Kinda like going alone to the prom. I think I'll skip it. (Plus, this school wasn't even first choice on our list, so there.)

So I'm free next Thursday from 4:30 to 5:30 when every other parent of a pre-K kid in our neighborhood will be at the school. Thank God, there's a yoga class to go to.

Tomorrow: Preparing for my boyfriend's son's birthday party this weekend, the first event attended by both me and his ex-wife. (I guess I do have stuff to blog about.) 


0 comments:

Post a Comment